A refrigerator is a necessity in most Indian homes. It is mostly used to preserve food, fruits and vegetables for a longer duration. Being a long term investment you are then advised to go for the best. There are a lot of different brands that make the best refrigerators such as LG, Haier, Samsung, BPL and Whirlpool in India.
While purchasing a refrigerator you should consider some factors such as the capacity, type of refrigerator that is side by side or double door or single door, type of defrosting, the presence of an inverter technology and the fresh features that are present in a refrigerator.
According to the above factors we have provided a review and also a buyers guide that will help you eliminate all your doubts and issues that you may have encountered into making the right decision even if choosing your refrigerator largely depends on your preference and your budget.
Our Top Choice: LG 687 L Frost Free Side-by-Side Refrigerator
Our top picks for the best refrigerators is the LG 687 L Frost Free Side-by-Side Refrigerator. This is the best model if you are not restricted by your budget. It is a side by side refrigerator that has a frost-free technology. It is also large in size and can hold a large-sized family of up to 8 people in India. Most families in India and as a result this will suit most of the families.
It is also rated as the best inverter refrigerator in the market. It also has a technology that is capable of sensing warm food and drinks and then speeds up the motor to reach up the optimum temperature to cool off the food.
Haier 195 L 4-star refrigerator
Samsung 212 L 3-star refrigerator
LG 190 L 4 Star Refrigerator
LG 260 L refrigerator
Whirlpool 240 L Refrigerator
Whirlpool 340 L 3 star refrigerator
Haier 565 L Inverter Frost-Free Side-By-Side Refrigerator
LG 687 L Frost Free Side-by-Side Refrigerator
Samsung 324L 3 Star Refrigerator
BPL 564 L Frost Free Side-by-Side Refrigerator
Best Refrigerator Review in India for Home
1. Haier 195 L 4-star direct-cool single door refrigerator
Most Indian homes consider house parties to be the best. But what is the point of having a house party if you can not make your ice cubes and as first as they are needed? This kind of job needs you to have the best refrigerator that can deliver reliable services.
With Haier 195 L 4-star direct-cool single door refrigerator you can make your ice cubes as fast as you can and also store your ice creams for desserts for as long as 2 to 3 weeks. This single door refrigerator is considered the best and the cheapest since its power consumption is very low, in a year the maximum power it can consume is 159 units making it very affordable and cheap to maintain.
The Haier 195 L 4-star direct-cool single door refrigerator has the following features;
- It has an inverter compressor motor that can save your energy up to 50%. These motors are very expensive to purchase and thus saves your cost.
- It makes ice cubes within an hour, 1-hour icing technology. The single door fridge has long condenser oils that seal the cool air inside and makes ice as fast as possible.
- It has a bid freezer that is enough to store the ice cubes, desserts such as ice creams and yoghurts.
- This refrigerator has an antifungal gasket that is removable and can be washed to prevent any odour from forming or any fungal growth.
- It has an inbuilt stabilizer that has the capability of handling a high range of voltage fluctuations
- 1-hour icing technology
- Has an antifungal gasket
- Inbuilt stabilizer
- Inverter compressor motor
- It is affordable and cheap to maintain
- You can only defrost manually
- It has a small capacity and is best suited for a small-sized family or a bachelor.
2. Samsung 212 L direct cool single door 3-star refrigerator
This Samsung 212 L direct cool single door 3-star refrigerator is a refrigerator just like any other. It is considered to have the best quality in the market regardless of it being small. It is also very efficient at cooling your foodstuff and desserts. This Samsung refrigerator is very smooth and stylish, it is the best at attracting a customer while performing a review.
This refrigerator has the following characteristics
- It seals the internal parts from any accident that might occur. You can also clean the back of your refrigerator that seals it to enhance its sleekness
- It also has a bright light for clear viewing. You are able to see clearly the deeper parts of the shelves due to thes a bright light
- It also has an inbuilt stabilizer that stabilizes the high voltage fluctuations
- The refrigerator has a lock with keys for safety purposes.
- The shelves in the refrigerator are tough enough to handle 150 kgs of weight. The shelves are made up of glasses that are toughened to hold foodstuff that is heavier.
- The refrigerator has an inverter compressor motor
- It has a 1-year warranty on product and 10-years warranty on compressor
- Toughened glasses
- An inbuilt stabilizer
- Has a small lock with keys
- It has a high energy consumption
- It is small
3. LG 190 L 4 Star Inverter Direct-Cool Single Door Refrigerator
LG products are widely known for its quality goods. It is one of the best rated single door refrigerators apart from Haier. The LG 190L model has a 4-star rating and consumes 164 units a year. It is expensive and consumes a lot of energy, it comes after Haier in terms of price and the energy that it consumes.
The refrigerator best suits a family of 2 to 3 heads due to its capacity. This refrigerator has the following features
- It has an inbuilt stabilizer that handles the voltage fluctuations of 90V to 310V.
- It also has a 1-hour icing technology that makes ice within 60 minutes.
- It has an inverter compressor motor that saves energy and aids in regulating the temperature according to the load.
- It has a base that is in the form of a drawer and it is used to store vegetables and fruits like melons
- It has a smart connector that helps when there is a power cut in your region by automatically connecting to your home inverter power.
- It has a 4-star rating by over 300 customers
- Has an inbuilt power stabilizer
- It has a base stand with a drawer
- Has an inverter compressor motor
- Smart connect that connects to home inverter during power cuts
- You can only defrost manually
- It makes a lot of noise
- It also base stand drawer that is of low quality
4. LG 260 L 3-star frost-free double-door refrigerator
The LG 260L model is considered to be the best inverter technology in India. Only a few products in India can match the quality of this model. It is efficient mostly in cost and energy. It can serve a household that comprises 6 people due to its capacity of 260L.
It is a frost-free refrigerator meaning it does not require any kind of manual defrosting and it also has a low power consumption of 194units a year considering its huge capacity.
This model has the following features
- Has a smart diagnosis that helps you identify any problem and solve it too
- It has an auto smart connect that automatically connects to your home inverter once there is a power cut
- It has an inverter compressor motor that helps in regulating the temperature according to your load and saves up to half of the energy that is consumed on a daily basis.
- This model maintains a moisture level that keeps every corner cool, especially in the vegetable box.
- It also has a technology that helps in lowering the humidity and keeping the refrigerator cool always
- It has a stunningly sleek body
- An auto smart connector
- Has a smart diagnosis
- It also has an ice beam cooling
- All of its operations are stabilizer free
- It is frost-free and you do not have to defrost manually
- It is hard to fit large bowls since the shelves are not adjustable
- The eggs trays are very small since they can only fit 6 eggs
5. Whirlpool 240 L Frost Free Multi-Door Refrigerator
This Whirlpool 240 L Frost Free Multi-Door Refrigerator has an active bottom drawer that helps keep the vegetables and fruits for a longer period. It also has a fast cooler freezer that keeps your desserts and other highly perishable goods such as meat for a long duration.
This model with multi-door prevents odour mixing since every zone is used for different storage needs. The multi-door refrigerator has the following features;
- Has a multi-door advantage that prevents odour mixing
- This model has an active fresh bottom drawer that keeps fruits and vegetable for a longer period of time
- It has a technology that absorbs ethylene from fruits and vegetables that helps all fruits ripen more every day. The technology is known as zeolite technology.
- This model has a technology that helps the fruits and vegetables keep its moisture and natural freshness by keeping it cool and preventing any cold air from outside, the model is known as moisture retention technology
- This model also has a smart diagnosis that helps identify any problem that may arise
- Has a moisture retention technology
- Has a multi-door advantage
- It has a zeolite technology
- It has a moisture retention technology
- It also has a smart diagnosis technology
- This model has a high energy consumption
- It is very expensive
6. Whirlpool 340 L 3 star frost-free double door refrigerator
This Whirlpool 340L refrigerator has a large capacity that can serve a large family of up to 8 members. It is also attractive because of its smooth and sleek texture, this type of refrigerator is very expensive compared to its similar refrigerators.
This model also has a freezer that is easily convertible in that if you run out of space you can transform your freezer into a fridge. This is the most energy-efficient model on the list since its power consumption is very low, it consumes 190 units annually.
This whirlpool double door refrigerator has the following characteristics;
- It has an inbuilt stabilizer that can handle voltage fluctuations of 160 to 300V.
- This model prevents over-ripening of fruits and vegetables by the help of a technology called zeolite technology
- It has the capability of blocking microbial growth which in turn help in keeping the fruits and vegetables fresh for a long duration
- It has a digital control that helps in changing inner temperature settings, you are able to choose from 5 temperature controls
- In case there is a power cut, this model auto connects itself to the home inverter.
- This model also adjusts the temperature according to the load, changes in the weather and also depending on how often it is used.
- Has a zeolite technology
- It has a digital control
- Has an auto-connect to home inverter
- Consumes only 190 units annually
- It is a convertible refrigerator from being a freezer to a fridge
- It is the most expensive than others
7. Haier 565 L Inverter Frost-Free Side-By-Side Refrigerator
With Haier products, their main objective is to make your life very livable and your household chores much easier. The Haier 565L refrigerator comes with a technology that is capable of defrosting automatically and avoids any build-up of ice. It is very easy to maintain and has a small lock with keys for easy maintenance.
This model is of high quality and has a very stylish and attractive look that is eye-catchy to every customer who wishes to purchase. It uses up to 270 units of power regardless of its huge size. It can serve up to 6 people in your family.
This refrigerator has the following features;
- It has an antifungal gasket that prevents any odour formation or formation of bacterial in your foodstuffs
- It has a large vegetable box that allows you to store all of your favorite vegetables for as long as you want
- It has a defrost button that helps you do away with all the ice that has built up around your freezer
- It consumes low energy regardless of its spacious features hence making it affordable
- It is made up of very hard and toughened glasses that can hold a lot of weight
- It has an antifungal gasket
- Has a very large vegetable box
- It saves energy
- It has a defrost button that defrosts automatically
- It is a super-fast cooling refrigerator
- It has a digital inverter compressor that makes the fridge produce less noise and enhances durability
- It has a 1-year warranty and 10 years on the compressor
- It is very expensive
8. LG 687 L Frost Free Side-by-Side Refrigerator
If you are considering going for a frost-free side by side refrigerator and you are not restricted by your pocket then this model is the best you can go for. It is the best inverter refrigerator in the market and the most sleekish you can purchase. It is the second most expensive refrigerator in the market.
Its power consumption is low considering its large size, it consumes up to 270 units every year.
This LG 687 L frost-free side-by-side refrigerator has the following features;
- It has an inverter linear compressor that is capable of reducing your noise and also on saving your energy
- It also has a technology that prevents odour formation and also prevents any bacterial formation
- It has a technology that is capable of sensing warm food and drinks and then speeds up the motor to reach up the optimum temperature
- This model also has a technology that is capable of diagnosing a problem and therefore takes the necessary measures to solve the problem
- It has a multi air cooling technology that distributes the cool air to every shelf in the refrigerator.
- It has a very huge capacity
- It has a multi air cooling technology
- Has an inverter linear compressor
- Low power consumption regarding its huge size
- It has an inbuilt stabilizer in case there are high voltage fluctuations.
- It is a very expensive mode
- It lacks a water dispenser
9. Samsung 324L 3 Star Inverter Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
Samsung and LG seem to compete in all of their products. However, Samsung comes first in refrigerators because of its larger capacity than LG when it comes to double door refrigerators. The Samsung 324L refrigerator model suits a family of 5 to 6 people, it is rated 3 stars because it saves both energy and cost at the same time. The shelves are made up of toughened glasses that can hold up to 180 kilograms of weight.
This model has the following characteristics
- It has an inverter technology that regulates the food temperature and prevents damage. This technology also reduces energy consumption
- It has a digital control setting that allows you to choose from 5 different modes and change the cooling settings in your refrigerator
- It also has a technology that quickly chills your foodstuffs and drinks as compared to other refrigerators
- The fridge can work even when there is a power cut since it automatically connects to your home inverter
- This model has a door alarm that notifies you if you leave your fridge more than two minutes
- It has a recessed handle
- Has a digital control setting
- It has a smart connect inverter
- Has a door alarm technology
- Has a 3-star BEE ratings
- It lacks a door lock with keys
- It has a very small vegetable box
10. BPL 564 L Frost Free Side-by-Side Refrigerator
These side by side refrigerators are also known as french refrigerators. They are so huge in size and best suits a family of more than 8 people. This model comes with a lot of advantages such as a water dispenser, a big ice cube maker and a good size of up to 564 L.
The BPL 564 L frost-free side-by-side refrigerator is the best and the cheapest you can get in the market. It does not have an inverter refrigerator that is why it comes 5th in the market but it is best in quality. It can serve a family of up to 6 people.
This model has the following features;
- All shelves are made up of toughened glasses
- A technology that allows you to change the temperature settings to 5 models
- It quickly cools your foodstuffs and keeps them fresh for a longer duration
- Each of its shelves has cooling ventilation that keeps a constant temperature in your refrigerator which is cool
- It has a water dispenser that is attached to it
- It is the cheapest thus saves on cost
- Has a huge capacity of up to 564 L
- It has a digital display and control
- Has a touch button that regulates your temperature
- It has a compressor motor that operates quietly
- It lacks an inbuilt stabilizer and the product can be destroyed
- The compressor has only 5-year warranty while others have a 10-year warranty on the compressor
Buyer’s Guide: What to Look for When Buying a Refrigerator in India?
The main use of a refrigerator in most Indian homes is to preserve food and drinks for a longer duration than they could have stayed at normal temperatures. The refrigerator decreases the temperature inside so that the foodstuff can stay for weeks. It has some elements that help all these operations be successful.
First refrigerators have an inverter compressor motor that is capable of regulating the temperatures of your food and drinks, in case anything is warm the motor regulates the temperature to enable the food stay for a longer period. The refrigerator has a refrigerant that absorbs any warmth present and then flows through the condenser.
It equally in vain to choose the refrigerator that you want when there are a lot of options in the market the following are some of the guides that you can use;
The first thing you should consider while buying your home refrigerator is the capacity. The size of your family and how often you store your food and drinks will help you conclude which size you need. If you live alone the best you can go for is the one that is below 200 L.
But if you are a couple living together and do not have plans of adding up then you should go for the one that is below 250 L.
If you are a small family of up to 4 people then you should go for up to 300 L and below.
But then if your family is middle-sized you should opt to buy that which is below 350 L. A large-sized family of more than 8 members, you should get a refrigerator that is above 400L.
2. Types of refrigerators
There are a lot of refrigerators that are present in the Indian market such as the single-door refrigerator, double door refrigerators and side by side refrigerators.
- Single-door refrigerators
These refrigerators have a capacity of up to 300 L because of their best suit individuals and those small families. They are also known as direct cool refrigerators. This model is cheap and consumes little energy as compared to other refrigerators. However, they are not frost-free and you will have to defrost manually to prevent ice building up in your freezer.
- Double – door refrigerator
As the name suggests, this refrigerator has two doors that separate the freezer and the fridge to avoid mixing up odour from the fridge or the freezer. This model comes with a frost-free technology and you do not have to defrost it manually, the freezer is larger as well as compared to a side by side refrigerator.
- Side-by-side refrigerator
These refrigerators come in huge sizes of up to 900 L and best suit homes that have large families. They are very expensive and consume a lot of energy compared to other types. These models have some advanced features such as an ice maker and a water dispenser that you can access without opening the fridge.
There are two types of defrosting, they include direct cool defrosting and frost-free
- Direct cool defrosting
This type of defrosting is where you will have to defrost manually to avoid ice build-up. It uses natural cool air circulation that circulates all around the refrigerator keeping it cool. When the air inside the refrigerator circulates naturally this means you cannot control it and it then leads to uneven cooling that causes ice build-up. This is why you have to defrost often.
- Frost-free technology
At least most of the refrigerators in the Indian market have frost-free technology. This technology works where the refrigerator has a defrosting cycle that prevents the accumulation of ice. This function provides a fan around the refrigerator that enhances a balanced distribution of cool air. This kind of functioning is available only on side by side and double door refrigerators.
4. Inverter technology
This technology works on a simple rule of making an effective use of the compressor power. Usually, most of the refrigerators without a compressors go off and on at particular intervals leading to more power consumption. With an inverter technology, the compressor works at different levels cooling the temperatures where need be.
If the temperature falls below the set levels then the compressor will work at a very low capacity. But if the temperature rises then the compressor will start to work at full capacity. With an inverter technology, you can save up to 50% of your electric consumption even when the temperatures are stable.
5. Fresh features
Did you know that when it comes to preserving food you will need to do more than just cooling? Well, refrigerator came in to help you preserve food, fruits and vegetables for weeks without odour formation or bacterial formation. Fruits and vegetables tend to form bacteria and odour due to excess moisture so you will have to maintain the best levels of humidity to make sure your fruits and vegetables live a longer duration.
A lot of cheap refrigerators do not have this technology since they best suit individuals or small families that do not store a lot of fruits and vegetables.
Frequently asked questions
1. Is it ok to purchase a refrigerator online?
Purchasing the best refrigerator online is as safe as purchasing one in a supermarket or any other electric shop. Most of the online platforms in India have the best ratings in all of their products. These platforms offer a lot of benefits such as discounts, free delivery and mostly free gifts.
Most of the Indian trusted online platforms include amazon which is rated the best. With Amazon, you are assured you will have the best refrigerator in the market and more so the one that is original and can serve you for a longer period
2. What is a frost-free refrigerator?
A frost-free refrigerator is the type of refrigerator that uses a technology that is best in defrosting automatically. With the model being frost-free you will not have to deal with ice building up in your freezer since the technology works in intervals to reduce the ice around the freezer.
With this kind of cooling the air is distributed to every corner to prevent any ice from accumulating. Compared to a direct cooling refrigerator, frost-free is the best option you can run for. You do not have to do most of the defrosting manually.
3. What is an inverter refrigerator?
An inverter refrigerator has a technology that enables the refrigerator to run at different speeds according to the amount of load that is in it. When the compressor is at its maximum speed the refrigerator uses a lot of electricity than when it runs at a slower speed.
Refrigerators with normal compressors use one speed which is responsible for cooling it below the set temperatures. If the temperatures are above the set levels then the compressors will start working to regulate it and reach the set levels. These normal compressors tend to consume a lot of electricity since they work at a start-stop cycle and run at a very high speed while working.
4. How to disinfect the refrigerator?
Have you ever wondered if some refrigerators have some bacterial formation from some foodstuffs? Well, some refrigerators have a technology that deals with the bacterial formation which is called zeolite technology. This does not mean that all of your bacterias are dealt with so you will have to spray your refrigerator using some vinegar and water, and then wipe your refrigerator with a clean towel to disinfect it.
Before wiping off with a clean towel make sure that you leave it for like 5 minutes. This is the best way to disinfect your refrigerator.
5. What are the best refrigerator brands in India?
The best refrigerator brands in India are the LG 687 frost-free side-by-side refrigerator and BPL 564 L frost-free side by side refrigerator. They are large in size, very affordable, have the best water dispenser and the best ice cube maker. They are also known as the french door refrigerators.
These models are the best in consuming less energy due to the presence of an inverter linear compressor that saves up on energy and purposes to reduce so much noise coming from it. LG 260 L double door is the best refrigerator if you are looking for a double door refrigerator and if you are looking for a single door refrigerator go for Haier 195 L direct cooling.
The Indian market has a huge appetite for the best refrigerator brands which keeps growing by the day. The only thing that differs when it comes to making a decision about the refrigerator to buy is the customers’ preference and the size of the family. For a small family or an individual a single door is best suitable for them.
Most Indian homes are characterized by large family sizes. Therefore, most Indian homes prefer double door refrigerators since they are large in size and have two doors that separate the refrigerator into two. It allows the families to store enough food for all members over a long period of time
This article has provided reviews of the 10 best refrigerators in India. For the best double door refrigerator go for LG 260 L, it will give you the best services, that is if you do not have budget issues. You should also consider the ratings each refrigerator has. This means you should consider purchasing the one that has higher ratings even if they are a bit expensive.